Friday, May 1, 2009

A Brand New America…Perception is Everything

Question- What do you see here on the left? Let me assume some of the answers: 1) A Football Player (s) 2) A strong young man 3) An African American football player 4) A spoiled football player 5) A non-student Football Athlete 6) A non-student Athlete Football Player that probably gets money under the table.

Are you starting to understand the exercise? If not, let me paint the mental picture. Answers- 1) Student-Athlete 2) Top of his Class academically as a pre-med student 3) Community volunteer creating an opportunity for underprivileged kids

Florida State safety Myron Rolle won the Rhodes scholarship just hours before he returned for the second half kick-off of the game against Maryland. During my normal short glimpses at college football, I failed to get the news! I did however receive updates on who is injured, the over-under via the betting line, which kid got suspended/kicked off or jailed, and of course the lead candidate for the Heisman Trophy. Seems like the baseline for achieving that all-mighty goal of viewership is the tantalization of drama and not the feel-good stuff. I also have to mention that it is disheartening to hear all of the heavy negative stuff involving our young African American college athlete, and at the same time have to go to the back of the newspaper in the third column between an article on the local auction, and the dog that won the city's dog of the year award to find this type of positive information. Yes, I am sensitive. I have kids. And I understand that the re-tooling of America starts at home. My hand goes out to the parents of Myron Rolle, it also goes out to those parents that are doing comparable things. Keep it up, because eventually, it will get front-page news! Cut&Paste this link: http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/12/06/lemon.myron.rolle.cnn?iref=videosearch

No comments: