Monday, May 4, 2009

Swagger or Swagga...Either way, he has it !!!

I'm about to talk to you like I talk to my boys! You all know what I'm talking about.

Does the boy have swagger or what? He's got a little sumthin sumthin going on. He's got that "What" behind him. He's got that "Yeah" "Yeeeeah" with his walk. Can you imagine the conversations he must have with his boys? It might go something like this.

_______________

His boy – Do you feel like the man B?

Pres B – I do. I'm just doing what I do. You feel me?

His boy – I feel you. But does it get hard when you get attacked from the front, the back, and every other direction?

Pres B- C'mon man! It's been hard for us from day one if you're looking at it from that perspective. I don't see it any worse than growing up with an assumptive target on my back. You know that target. The target of people saying that I'm going to fail, he's from a broken home, so he's definitely going to fail, blah blah blah. Listen, I'm trying to change the game. I can now affect the game, and more importantly, I'm going to keep my word. And if you think it's cocky, then it's what it is. I look at it as being confident with what I do and how I do it.

His boy – I hear ya bra!

_______________

Ok. I took some creative liberty on the dialog, but I believe that that's how it goes. President Obama has that Swagger. He also has the "IT" thing too. However, I'll talk about the "IT" thing in my next blog (Not everyone has the "IT" factor) because only a few have that "IT" factor. Ali had "IT.," Lena Horne had "IT.," Ella Fitzgerald had "IT," Joe Namath had "IT," Dr. King had "IT," Jordan has "IT." Denzel has "IT," Collin Powell has "IT," Tom Brady has "IT"…and come on, you know Bill Clinton has "IT." Again, we'll handle the "IT" factor in my next blog.

Let's talk a little bit about swagger.

Swagger – Definition: Swaggering manner, conduct, or walk; ostentatious display of arrogance and conceit

The swagger is not over-rated, and a lot of people have it. I say that because in my community growing up, it was prevalent. While playing sports, it was so prevalent that you wanted to sometimes knock it out the person who had it because sometimes they couldn't back it up. I certainly recognize it when it's in my face; I think we all do. We all talk about these people. I'm not sure if you need substance, credibility, or a track record for success, but you need confidence. Having said that, President Obama has the substance, credibility, and track record to back it up (at least he has that somthin somthin that allows us to think that he has all of that).

Let me give you an example of some people in the media that has that swagger. Kanya West, Puffy, Lil Wayne, Britney Spears, Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Beyonce, Kid Rock, just to name a few…you get my point, right? Some are worthy of the swagger, and some aren't.

President Obama is certainly worthy of the swagger. I can really identify with him and how he conducts himself in public. It's a trip how easy it is to recognize the ways of another brotha in oneself. I notice how he addresses the common folk, politicians, and international partners. He invites them in. I see him being inclusive in many as many cases. Inclusive seemed to be a natural gesture within my community growing up. I recall always being able to expand friendships and gatherings based on including all who were present, who may have been Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, etc. They all were welcome. This was especially true with my parents and parent's friends. Thus, I see that thing in President Obama, that inclusive thing.

That swagger he has is just how he rolls (stealing a phrase from the younger generation). My man even got his swerve going-on when he walks down the step of Air Force One. C'mon…you'll know exactly what I'm talking about! Democrats, Republicans, Independents, whatever your party affiliation, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

No comments: