Monday, November 17, 2008

Am I to conservative or are my kids too liberal?

I live less than two miles away from my boy’s high school. The area has a meager crime rate, and I make a weekly comment to friends saying that “my kids just don’t realize how lucky they have it.” The comment actually is made during the Friday night football games, to which I'm often reminded of the TV series Friday Night Lights. These games feel like a mini college game, and the camaraderie is second to none. The community support is over the top, and the fans are amazing. All-in-all this environment is really cool. The days around here have been beautiful, with temperatures ranging from 68 to 74 degrees (… and it’s the fall!). On the weekends I’ve been riding my bike and jogging lately. I want you to keep in mind that I tend to be a fair-weather runner, and the past couple of weekends have been wonderful. Oh yeah! One more thing! This morning as I dropped my guys off at school today, one of them mentioned that over half of the kids (high school kids) get dropped off and picked-up. I only say this to set up the big issue. Plastered in the hillside of redwood trees, large ranch homes, and every high-end sports car imaginable is the 100-year-old school with very high academic standards. I often say that it reminds me of a mini college because of the student body and the traditions that have been carried from class to class. Most kids aren’t bogged down with the latest in trendy clothing fashions, but the ones who are doing it with flair—$ 200 pairs of jeans, high-end tennis shoes, and the latest in Channel purses. The students' cars are rolling across the parking lots with 20-inch rims and a combination of numbers and letters on the side of the trunk that classifies the foreign car's style. For those who don’t go foreign, they are strapped with the domestic four-wheel drive and the newer SUV’s. No valley talk here, just good old American spoiled kids. But let me say this! Most are good kids, and it’s nice not to be impacted by gangs, rife-raffs, etc.….. I appreciate this opportunity that is afforded to my kids. It is certainly fortunate to not be forced to send them to a private school and that this area has the academic foundation that it has. I’m also thankful that I can provide a sense of materialistic glee to my kids too. It’s nice to buy some of those things that I didn’t have growing up (but some of those things just didn’t matter either). I try to stress value amongst my kids. My theme is that they have to create an environment that they give and have full participation in and bring their best self to that place. To be frank, this is how value with teenagers look to me: chores, helping around the house without being asked, being mindful of others, using manners to all at all times, being humble, and just doing the right thing in all situations. I also subscribe to the laissez-faire system of government/parents. There is no free lunch, and that everyone should at some point in their childhood growth era learn the work reward system. This applies towards a job and a paycheck and towards grades in school, athletic endeavors, and allowance. Now enough of the background stuff…here's the bottom-line. My kids think that they should be picked up and dropped off every day at school. I ask them and tell them (whenever I drive them to school, my wife drives them most of the time) that they should walk! Especially during these great days that we are having. The instant feedback I get from them are grumbles, mumbles, and eyebrow raise. For some reason, they don’t get it! So am I too old school conservative, or are they entitlement kids, with liberal attitudes? Hummmmmm...

No comments: